I. Kiến thức liên quan
II. Đề ôn tập IELTS WRITING GENERAL TASK 1 (letter)
1. Thư yêu cầu - Letter of request
1.1 Đề 1
You have received a letter from your bank, asking you to acknowledge receipt of a new bank card. However, the card was missing from the envelope. Write a letter to the bank's head office. In your letter:
- explain why you are writing
- express concern about the missing card
- ask them what they intend to do
1.2 Đề 2
You are applying for a job and need a letter of reference from someone who knew you when you were at school. Write a letter to one of your old teachers asking for a reference. In your letter:
- say what job you have applied for
- explain why you want this job
- suggest what information the teacher should include
1.3 Đề 3
You are going on a short training course at a college in Sydney, Australia. You need somewhere to live while you are there. Write a letter to the accommodation officer who knew you at the college. In your letter:
- explain your situation
- describe the accommodation you require
- say when you will need it
1.4 Đề 4
You are about to start social meetings in a particular area where people from different nationalities can take part. Write a letter to the editor of a local newspaper requesting him to publish information about this:
- What activities you have planned
- When the first meeting takes place and where
1.5 Đề 5
You would like to work overseas, write a letter to an employment agency. Write:
- what job you would like to apply
- what companies are you looking for
- why do you want to work overseas
1.6 Đề 6
You have heard that your company is organizing a language training abroad for a limited number of participants. Write a letter of interest:
- state your position in your company
- explain why they should include you in the training
- explain how your training could benefit you and your company
1.7 Đề 7
You have planned to study in Australia. You have sent a letter to a college, but you have not received a reply from the college. Write a letter to the college principal. In your letter:
- you should give details of the course that you wished to do,
- say why do you choose to study at the college,
- say why you need the reply soon.
1.8 Đề 8
You live in an English speaking country and you want to do some voluntary work. Write a letter to the local council to let them know the following:
- why you want to do this voluntary work
- what your skills and experience are
- what can you do as a volunteer
1.9 Đề 9
Write a letter to your supervisor regarding a course you attended as a part of your job. Write:
- The purpose of your letter
- Say how the course was useful to you
- What are your suggestions regarding the course
1.10 Đề 10
You are working in a company. You would like to join a training course related to your work. Write a letter to your employer. In your letter :
- describe what course you would like to do
- how this course might help in your work
- suggest suitable time for you to do this course
1.11 Đề 11
Write a letter to one of your classmates and invite him to a class reunion. Write:
- when and where is the party
- give some details about what is going to happen at the party
- tell him/her what you have been doing recently
1.12 Đề 12
You have arranged a plan for travel and accommodation for your friends. Write a letter to them and:
- remind them about the plans,
- give them the details of accommodation,
- suggest what things they should bring to the trip.
1.13 Đề 13
You are getting married. Write a letter to an English-speaking friend to invite him/her to the wedding. In your letter:
- describe who you are going to marry,
- tell what will happen on the wedding day (the schedule),
- explain why it’s important him/her to be at the wedding.
1.14 Đề 14
Your company has sent you to an English speaking country to do a course. You have finished it and got a certificate which unfortunately you have lost. Write a letter to the college principal to issue a duplicate certificate. Write:
- An explanation of how you lost that certificate
- Tell him why the certificate is important to you
- What you want them to do
1.15 Đề 15
Write a letter to a friend and ask him / her to look after your house in your absence, give reasons for your travel and any specific instructions / requests.
1.16 Đề 16
You have invited your English-speaking friend to a family wedding and reserved a room at the hotel for him/her as you agreed before. You won’t be able to meet him/her at the airport. Write a letter to your friend, describing:
- the reason why you can’t meet him/her,
- how he/she can get to the hotel from the airport,
- the hotel where you made the reservation.
1.17 Đề 17
An Australian company offers money to foreign students to study in Australia. Write a letter to the company.
- Introduce yourself.
- Say what you want to study.
- How the money will help you.
1.18 Đề 18
A friend had a new born baby, you have picked up a present for the baby and want to visit to give it to him / her. Write a letter to:
- Congratulate your friend.
- Tell him why you picked up the mentioned present.
- Suggest arrangements for the visit.
1.19 Đề 19
You are shifting out of your accommodation. You think the place is suitable for your English speaking colleague who is arriving next month. Write a letter to your colleague:
- Explain why you are shifting out.
- Describe your accommodation
- Why is it suitable for your friend?
1.20 Đề 20
You work in an international company. Write a letter to the manager to give you some time off, in your letter include the following:
- The reason why you need the time off,
- When you need the time off,
- Who should replace you when you are not around.
1.21 Đề 21
Write a letter to your English-speaking friend telling him/her about a local event that is to take place in your town, which would be useful to her/him. In your letter:
- Mention the event
- What are the activities involved
- Mention the arrangements you would make for his/her stay
1.22 Đề 22
You have been offered a job overseas that you applied for. Write a letter to your friend who already knows about that job as well:
- tell what kind of job is it
- explain why you applied for this job
- ask your friend about the country
1.23 Đề 23
Write a letter to a book shop manager about a book you’re looking for, ask him to find the book and send it to you.
1.24 Đề 24
Your friend will be staying at your home, but you can’t be there. Write a letter in which you explain:
- How the keys will get to him/her
- How to use the electrical appliances
- Recommend some interesting places to visit
1.25 Đề 25
Imagine you are going to an English speaking country; write to a rental agency:
- the type of house you want.
- its size.
- the surroundings.
1.26 Đề 26
Write a letter to a financial organization that gives money to students who would like to take a part-time course. Mention:
- qualifications and work experience
- details about the course
- how this course will help you
1.27 Đề 27
Writing a letter to a friend asking for help with a short holiday in the area of this friend, asking for information, etc.
1.28 Đề 28
You are going to do computer course at your local college. Write letter and mention:
- Why do you want to do this course?
- Have you any educational background and computer skills.
- Ask some questions about course.
1.29 Đề 29
You had applied to city college recently. Now the college has written back saying the course you applied for is full and they have even suggested an alternative course. Write back to them stating why you chose the first course, your views on the suggested second course and your plan of action.
1.30 Đề 30
Write a letter of recommendation for a friend who submitted his resume to a tourist office.
1.31 Đề 31
Write a letter to apply for a part time job in a new international company, you have heard about the position from someone in your neighbourhood.
1.32 Đề 32
Write a letter to a friend who you have met on an overseas trip in an English speaking country. Ask for him to send you the trips photographs.
1.33 Đề 33
You saw an ad in the news for a job and you are interested to apply.
1.34 Đề 34
Write a letter to apply for a position to look after a house in Scotland where the owners are going away. Provide personal details, what qualities you have for this position and ask for information.
1.35 Đề 35
You are a college student in an English speaking country. Write a letter to your friend containing your intention to move to a college accommodation. In your letter:
- introduce yourself
- give reasons why you are not happy with your current accommodation,
- explain why you think the college accommodation will be better.
1.36 Đề 36
Write a letter to your English-speaking friend whom you visited recently. In your letter:
- Tell him/her how wonderful the experience you had in his country was
- Invite him to visit your country
- Tell him what you can do for him during his visit.
1.37 Đề 37
You want to volunteer to help the old people of your community. An organization in your area works for the benefit of old people. Write a letter to the in-charge of that organization explaining:
- Why do you want to help
- How can you help them
- When will you be available
1.38 Đề 38
As an overseas employee, write a resignation letter to your employer due to an emergency at home. Points to be covered: the reason for leaving, date of departure, and things that you loved about your job.
1.39 Đề 39
Write a letter to a local NGO (charity organization) and ask how you can join that organization.
1.40 Đề 40
You heard that there is a group of people doing unpaid work helping old people in the local community. Write a letter to the group. In your letter, you should:
- Tell how you heard about the group
- Confirm the importance of their work
- Give details of what you can do to help?
1.41 Đề 41
You are about to move to an English-speaking country to study. You have a friend living there and you want to find a part-time job. Write a letter to your friend:
- Explaining your scholar plans,
- Your reasons to get a part-time job,
- Suggest how he/she can help you finding a job.
1.42 Đề 42
An international company is offering a temporary job for work experience, write a letter to apply for that job. You need to explain:
- where did you find this information
- why you want to apply this job
- what qualification you have
- what position you want to apply
1.43 Đề 43
You have recently left something in a train, write a letter to the manager of the Lost and Found department and specify:
- when you lost it,
- describe the object you have left,
- tell the manager what you want them to do with it.
1.44 Đề 44
The letter was on booking a hotel room, number of people, general plan while staying there and any special requirements.
1.45 Đề 45
You have moved to a new place. Write a letter to a friend giving reasons why you moved to that place. Describe that place. Invite your friend to visit you.
1.46 Đề 46
The local newspaper is holding a "best neighbor in the area" competition. Write a letter to the newspaper to recommend your neighbor for this competition. In your letter:
- Introduce yourself
- Say whom you are recommending
- Explain why this neighbor should be the winner of this competition.
1.47 Đề 47
Write a letter to an editor of a newspaper regarding your concern about construction of multi-storey building in the current park location. In your letter say:
- How did you come to know about the plan
- Why it is important for you
- What is your opinion about this plan.
1.48 Đề 48
You ordered two items through internet and you received two different items. Write a letter to the manager:
- Explain about what you ordered,
- Ask why the two other items were different,
- Ask about how would he solve this problem.
1.49 Đề 49
You are planning to go on a holiday in an English-speaking country where one of your friends resides. Please write him a letter and let him know about the upcoming trip. In your letter:
- Ask for recommendations for places to visit during your trip.
- Ask about accommodations.
- Advise on a program that you and your friend can do together once you will meet him.
1.50 Đề 50
You have bought an airline ticket, but for some reason you will not be able to travel on the day scheduled. Write a letter to the airline company:
- Providing the details of you flight,
- Explaining the situation, reasons why you cannot travel,
- Saying what you expect the airline company do to.
1.51 Đề 51
You are working in an English speaking country. Recently, you have learned that a person who lives near your home can offer English lessons. Write a letter to this person. In this letter:
- Tell him / her how you got to know about the lesson
- Explain why you are interested in this lesson
- Say when and where you want to have the lesson.
2. Thư chia buồn - Letter of Condolence
2.1 Đề 1
Write a letter to a park authority about damage being made to the facilities of the park.
3. Thư cảm ơn - Letter of Thanks
3.1 Đề 1
Last month you had a holiday overseas where you stayed with some friends. They have just sent you some photos of your holiday. Write a letter to your friends. In your letter:
- thank them for the photos and for the holiday
- explain why you didn't write earlier
- invite them to come and stay with you
3.2 Đề 2
Write a letter to a friend who invited you to visit them in their country.
- express your appreciation of the invitation
- write the date of the visit
- write about the things you want to do there
3.3 Đề 3
You have just arrived in an English speaking country to study a course. Before you left your English teacher invited you to a dinner:
- thank him for the dinner
- tell him about your studies
- say how this advice helped you
3.4 Đề 4
Write a letter to your classmate that you have broken your leg:
- thank him for the card and presents you received
- explain what you are doing in your free time
- how have you been recovering
3.5 Đề 5
You have recently done a short term course in an English speaking country and found one of your teachers to be very good. Write a letter to the teacher:
- Thank him/her
- Say why you liked his/her lessons
- Say what your further planning of study is
3.6 Đề 6
You are going to leave your apartment in an English speaking country and your landlord is a very good person, who has assisted you a lot during your stay. Meanwhile, your friend wants to rent the flat after you. Write a letter to your landlord and:
- let your landlord know about your leaving,
- thank your landlord for his/her help,
- tell him/her about your friend.
3.7 Đề 7
You were studying in an English speaking country and suddenly needed to go back to your home country leaving your course incomplete. Write a letter to your teacher to:
- Thank him
- Explain the reason you left without completing your course
- Say during your course study what did you like most about this course
3.8 Đề 8
You organized for a relative a 90th birthday party in a hotel, many elderly guests attended this party which is of great success. Write a letter to thank the hotel manager. In your letter:
- Give the details of the party
- The reason why the party was so successful
- Mention a staff who helped you a lot
3.9 Đề 9
You lost something and someone found it and sent it to you. Writing a letter to that person:
- Thanking the person
- Explain how you must have lost it
- Explain what was there in it and why it was important to you
3.10 Đề 10
Write a letter to a English-speaking friend. Thank him/her for the vacation spent there and for their help with your injury. Tell them about your trip back, and the effects of this injury.
3.11 Đề 11
Write a letter to the head of the department of education to show your appreciation of a course you attended. In your letter:
- explain about the course,
- how have the course benefited you in your life/work.
3.12 Đề 12
Write a letter to your professor about your recent internship and future plans after graduation. In your letter:
- Thank him,
- Tell about your duties at internship,
- Share your plans for after graduation.
3.13 Đề 13
You recently met a manager from a new company that has just opened in your town. After the meeting, he wrote to you to offer you a job in this new company. However, you want to stay in your present job. Write a letter to the manager. In your letter:
- Thank him for the offer
- Explain why you want to stay in the present job
- Recommend a friend for the job in the new company
4. Thư gợi ý - Letter of Advice
4.1 Đề 1
You eat at your college cafeteria at lunch time every day. However, you think it needs some improvements. Write a letter to the college magazine. In your letter:
- explain what you like about the cafeteria
- say what is wrong with it
- suggest how it could be improved
4.2 Đề 2
There will be a traditional celebration in your country and you want to invite your friend from an English-speaking country. Write him/her a letter and:
- invite your friend,
- explain what happens at the party,
- describe the tradition and why it's important in your country,
- say why it is important for your friend to be there.
4.3 Đề 3
Write a letter to your English speaking friend who is visiting you soon and asking you what presents your family would like. Write:
- Who your family consists of
- What kind of presents each member would like
- How you feel about your friend coming to visit
4.4 Đề 4
Write a letter to local council regarding the plan of replacement of a library with a supermarket, you need to write the following:
- where do you get this information,
- the disadvantages of having a supermarket instead of the library,
- importance of the library
4.5 Đề 5
You have finished a course. Write a letter to the course organizer to give your feedback. In your letter include:
- the details of the course,
- what you enjoyed during the course,
- any suggestions you would have.
4.6 Đề 6
You have received a bag. Write a letter to the owner of the bag. In your letter include:
- where you found the bag
- what are the materials in the bag
- tell him how he can take the bag from you
4.7 Đề 7
Government plans to construct an airport in your locality. Write a letter to the authority. Explain where you came to know about the news.
- Describe the negative effects of airport construction
- Ask to consider alternate sight for airport construction
4.8 Đề 8
Write a letter to a friend who is visiting your country for the first time.
- Tell him the best time of the year to come
- What places they could visit
- Invite them to come to your house.
4.9 Đề 9
An English speaking friend is working at your hometown. He/she is planning to visit another town in your home country. Write a letter to him and make suggestions for his / her trip.
4.10 Đề 10
You received a letter from your friend informing you that his elderly parents are coming to visit in your area and he is asking for your advice on:
- which places they should visit,
- where should they live,
- invite them to do something with you.
4.11 Đề 11
A sports club in your area is about to be closed and you oppose to that. Write a letter to the manager and make suggestions why it is important that the club stays open.
4.12 Đề 12
Write a letter to local newspaper editor, to inform him that article about city/town you know very well which contains some incorrect information:
- write how you know that city
- what incorrect information article contains
- what they should do about that
4.13 Đề 13
Write a letter to your friend whose son will go on holidays to your country. In your letter:
- Invite the son to stay with you
- Give some advice about things to do
4.14 Đề 14
Write a letter to give feedback to local council on tourist facility condition, suggestion on how to improve the situation and why this is important to the people.
4.15 Đề 15
Write a letter to the television channel Manager about boring programs during the day time. Tell him about the programs, give suggestions.
4.16 Đề 16
You have seen an advertisement in the local newspaper about helping to improve the environment. Write a letter to the editor and explain:
- Why you are interested in it
- How you can help
- When you are available
4.17 Đề 17
Write a letter to the local planning committee. A new swimming pool is about to be built in your town, the local planning committee wants all residents to let them know where to place the pool - in the centre of town or just outside the town. Write a letter describing the importance of the pool, the location you prefer and why, explain why the other location isn’t suitable.
4.18 Đề 18
Write a letter to your friend who asked you to give some suggestion to his son who is coming to your country. Tell him which city he should go to, how he can get a job, and how he can make friends.
4.19 Đề 19
Write a letter to the manager of the hotel where you stayed. Write about a member of staff who helped you solve a problem. In your letter:
- introduce yourself,
- explain the situation, what was the problem and who fixed it,
- offer to reward the person in a certain way.
4.20 Đề 20
Your friend is asking for your advice, she goes to a university and can’t decide whether to study music or business management. Write a letter and in it say how you felt when you got the letter, what the good points are for both sides and
what your advice is.
4.21 Đề 21
You are a member of a sports club located in an old building. The manager asked you to suggest some improvements to the building. Write a letter to your manager and say:
- Why the club is important to you
- What improvements should be made in the building and
- How these changes would benefits the members
4.22 Đề 22
Write a letter to local council about the closure of playground and explain:
- why so few children are using the playground
- how to increase the number of children using the playground
- why this is important
4.23 Đề 23
One of your friends in a foreign country is starting an import-export business, and he has asked you to recommend a product from your country to him. Write a letter to your friend. In your letter:
- Say what product you want to recommend to him
- Tell him where he / she can get this product
- Explain why you want to recommend this product
5. Thư xin lỗi - Letter of Apology
5.1 Đề 1
You have recently started work in a new company. Write a letter to an English-speaking friend. In your letter:
- explain why you changed jobs
- describe your new job
- tell him / her your other news
5.2 Đề 2
You are attending a part time course in a college. Due to some problem, you cannot continue your course. Write a letter to your teacher:
- Describe the course
- Explain the problem
- Explain the reason for not continuing
- Tell the teacher about your future plans
5.3 Đề 3
You are a football player, but you have to leave the team for a while, write a letter to your team-mate and say:
- why you have to leave,
- how much you love the football team,
- when you are coming back.
5.4 Đề 4
Write a letter to the principal of a college in which you got accepted and say that you cannot start your course. Please include in your letter:
- Which course had you applied for
- Why cannot you start
- Ask about the future courses availability.
5.5 Đề 5
Write a letter to your previous English teacher because you can't go to his/her invitation.
5.6 Đề 6
Write a letter to a friend that you can't collect from the airport, as you have promised, because of some reason. In your letter:
- explain why you can't come,
- guide them regarding other options to get to your home,
- describe the plans/visits you made to show them around when your friend arrives.
5.7 Đề 7
You have arranged a meeting with a business partner. Unfortunately, you have to change the arrangements. Write a letter to your partner:
- Explain the new arrangements
- Apologise for the changes
- Explain the reasons why the changes were needed
5.8 Đề 8
Your friend bought tickets to the theatre for both of you. Write a letter to a friend to tell him that you cannot go to theatre, in your letter:
- Explain the situation,
- Tell him what he can do with the extra ticket.
5.9 Đề 9
You have an evening class and your teacher gave you an essay to work on for the weekend. However, you were not able to finish the essay. Write a letter saying the following:
- outline the subject of your essay
- what happened why you did not finished it
- tell what you will do to finish it.
5.10 Đề 10
You are unable to attend to your friend’s wedding in Britain. In this letter:
- Tell her what you think about her wedding plan
- Apologize for not attending
- Suggest date for future meeting
5.11 Đề 11
Inform bank manager in a letter about the fact that you cannot go to an agreed meeting. You should cover the following:
- inform and apologize
- describe the reason for your absence
- propose new time
5.12 Đề 12
You had an appointment to meet someone but you were not able to make it. Explain the reasons why you couldn’t be there. Tell him/her how you tried contacting him/her. Request another meeting.
5.13 Đề 13
Your friend is visiting you for a week. However, the dates that she is visiting you are not suitable for you. Write a letter to her:
- explaining why the dates don’t suit you
- suggest an alternative plan
5.14 Đề 14
You have been invited by your colleague to his farewell party. You are not able to attend the party, write a letter to the friend:
- explain the situation,
- say why you are not attending,
- say something about the period you have worked together and his/her work.
6. Thư phàn nàn - Letter of Complaint
6.1 Đề 1
You recently stayed in a hotel in a large city. The weather was very unusual for the time of year and the heating / cooling system in the hotel was quite inadequate. Write a letter to the manager of the hotel. In your letter:
- give details of what went wrong
- explain what you had to do to overcome the problem at the time
- say what action you would like the manager to take
6.2 Đề 2
You have been living in a rental apartment for the past year. Recently a new neighbor moved in and has been making a lot of noise, which disturbs you. Write a letter to the landlord. In your letter:
- explain the situation
- describe why it bothers you
- suggest a solution
6.3 Đề 3
You and your family have just rented an apartment and one or two problems occurred. Write a letter to the landlord. Describe the problems and tell him what you want him to do.
6.4 Đề 4
Write a letter to a travel agent expressing your dissatisfaction with their facilities due to a problem you had on a holiday.
6.5 Đề 5
You are not satisfied with the changing rooms in a sports center that you visit. Write a letter to the manager.
- What the problem is
- How do you feel about the problem
- What steps you want the manager to take
6.6 Đề 6
Write a letter to the airport flight manager about missing a business trip due to an accident that happened at the airport. Explain:
- what was the accident
- what was the result of missing the flight
- what you want them to do
6.7 Đề 7
Write a letter to a manager whose company is constructing their new office next to your apartment.
- Introduce yourself
- Describe problems you are facing because of this
- Suggest solutions
6.8 Đề 8
Your telephone company made a mistake about sending your bill to a wrong address. Write a letter to the account manager to complain and explain what problems this caused and what you would like them to do.
6.9 Đề 9
Write a letter to your neighbour who is having animals in his/her garden. You and your family members are having problems with the animals.
- introduce yourself
- tell the problem
- suggest solutions
6.10 Đề 10
Train service in your area is reduced. Write a letter to your train company:
- explain how it affects you
- describe the situation
- tell the train company what you would like them to do
6.11 Đề 11
Write a letter to a sports club. Tell them you are not satisfied with the service and have already let them know about it. Write:
- what exactly is wrong with their service
- what happened after you complained the first time
- what you want the club to do after your letter
6.12 Đề 12
You recently visited a foreign country and got some information at the Tourist Information Centre. The information given to you was wrong. Write a letter to the centre manager and explain:
- What was the information required?
- How was the wrong information provided?
- What problems did you have because of this?
6.13 Đề 13
Write a letter to a cinema manager you have previously been to regarding a problem you had. In your letter mention:
- which the movie was and when you saw it
- what the problem was
- what the manager should do to rectify the problem
6.14 Đề 14
You are living in an English speaking country and the restaurant near you is making a lot of noise. Write a letter to the restaurant owner. Cover the following:
- tell restaurant owner to reduce the noise levels.
- suggest a solution to fix the problem.
- warn that if this problem remains not solved then further action will be taken.
6.15 Đề 15
Write a letter to a college Principal, where you attended one day computer course and are unhappy about the way it was conducted. Explain the type of course, what happened and what can be done that it never happen again.
6.16 Đề 16
Write a letter to neighbour about the garbage problem you have:
- Introduce yourself
- Explain the problem
- Provide appropriate solution
6.17 Đề 17
You have just arrived in a foreign country on a business trip. You faced a problem at the airport. Write a letter to the airport manager regarding the problem you had. In your letter:
- identify yourself and state your flight number,
- explain what problem you had at the airport,
- suggest an improvement that should be made to the airport to prevent the problem.
6.18 Đề 18
You have a permanent job, and few weeks ago you have started a part-time short course. You are not satisfied with it and want to change this part time course. Write a letter to your professor explaining why you are not satisfied with your present part-time course, and stating which course you would prefer and why.
6.19 Đề 19
Write a complaint to a manager of furniture company regarding the purchase you made and the problems you had when delivery arrived. You should describe:
- Things that you bought,
- The broken items in the furniture,
- What do you want the manager to do.
6.20 Đề 20
You have rented an apartment and the neighbours are disturbing you. Write a letter to your landlord explaining what the problem is, what did you do to solve the problem and what action you want the owner to take.
6.21 Đề 21
You are a passenger of an airline company and during the flight you feel extremely unsatisfactory of the service. Please write a Letter of Complaint to the company. In your letter, you should:
- Say how you were ignored
- Give some suggestions to fix the problem
- Tell the airlines that further action will be taken if this problem remains unsolved.
6.22 Đề 22
Write a complaint letter to a moving company, let them know that they have damaged some of your furniture, tell them you’re not happy about the service and suggest a solution.