1. Some people think children should have the freedom to make mistakes, while other people believe that adults should prevent children from making mistakes. Discuss both sides and give your opinion.
2. The education of young people is the main priority in countries around the world. Some people believe that educating adults who cannot read or write is important and governments should spend more money on this. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
3. In education and employment, some people work harder than others. Why do some people work harder? Is it always a good thing to work hard?
4. Some people feel that in order to improve the quality of our education we should encourage high school students to evaluate and criticize their teachers. Others feel that it will cause the loss of respect and discipline in the classroom. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
5. Some people believe that university education should focus on the skills of employment for the future. Others think they should focus on academic study only. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
6. Governments should be responsible for funding and controlling scientific research rather than private organizations. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
7. Maintaining public libraries is a waste of money since computer technology is now replacing their functions. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?
8. Many museums and historical sites are mainly visited by tourists rather than local people Why is this? What can be done to attract local people?
9. Some people think that the best way to improve road safety is to let the drivers test each year. To what extent do you agree or disagree
10. Some people say that advertising has positive economic effects. Others think it has negative social effects because it will make people feel dissatisfied with who they are and what they have. Discuss both views and give your own opinion
11. Many developing countries are currently expanding their tourism industries. Why is this the case? Is it a positive development?
12. Today food travels from thousands of miles from the farm to the consumer. Some people say that it would be better for the economy & environment if people ate food produced from local farmers. Why is this the case? Is it a positive development?
13. Some people think that in the modern world we are more dependent on each other, while others think that people have become more independent. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
14. Some people think that it is necessary to travel abroad to learn about other countries, but other people think that it is not necessary to travel abroad because all the information can be seen at TV and the internet. Discuss both opinions and give your own opinion.
15. People should look after their health for personal benefits, rather than a duty for a society. What extent do you agree or disagree?
16. Young people today do not spend their holiday and weekend doing outdoor activities like hiking and climbing in natural environment. Why is it? And how to encourage them to go out?
17. Many people believe cycling has many healthy benefits. However, it is no longer the main form of transport. What are the reasons? What could be done to encourage the use of bicycles among the wider population?